Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Back home - Christine

It has been about 4 days since I've left Mexico and it's surprising how fast one can assimulate back in the US. I've brought out my winter clothes and started using English 24/7. Que triste. However, one thing I won't forget was the plane ride home. Apart from being set back 4 hours in the airport I sat next to a lady and her son. It was not until the stewardess passed by when I realized the lady next to me only spoke spanish. It went kind of like this: Stewardess: "What would you like to drink" Lady: "Umm.. cafe?" Stewardess: "Excuse me" Lady: "cafe?" My thoughts: "cafe is spanish for coffee. this lady wants coffee." Me: "She said coffee." :) This dialogue continued with me translating, "Sugar and creme, and orange juice for the boy please." We soon after started having a conversation of our own.. in spanish of course. I learned that she was from Costa Rica and that she was going to Boston to visit her eldest daughter. She has four children in all and she only knows a little English and is still learning. I told her how I had just finished studying for 3 months in Mexico and how I had the time of my life. And after some more conversation I feel back to sleep. I soon realized, that I had just done something I couldn't have done three months ago. Not only because I didn't have the knowledge, but because I would not have had the confidence. It was an amazing experience to have been a translator! I mean, I know, omg, I helped this lady get her coffee, big deal... but it was awesome okay. It was a great feeling to have, and to have done it using two different languages are bonus points. I was really happy and once again realized just how much Mexico has affected me. After the flight was over I walked her to carousel 2 where our bags were (since she didn't know where to go) and after I got my bag and said adios, I finally returned back home. I am now sitting at my house. We just had a big snow storm today and I got to wear my snow boots. Its nice hearing the northern accents and seeing the Boston Red Sox gear adorned on everyone's hats and jackets. And, as much as I miss Mexico, I have to admit, it's nice to be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment